Markdown as UI
June 10, 2021
For a little script that I run every day as a form of "journal", I've been experimenting with using Markdown as a file format and Typora as my "UI", and I quite like it!
What makes Markdown so practical as a format/UI:
- It can be aesthetically pleasing and is endlessly themable
- Intuitive and consise markup, including todos!
- Easy to view with tools with fancy tools (Typora et all) or simple tools (vim, cat, Notepad.txt)
- Easy to search with tools like
ripgrep, Spotlight, or Windows Search
- Easy to version with
- Easy to share with Github, Dropbox or email (and the receiver can use any tool to view it ❤️)
There are also plenty of parsers out there for different languages, so its fairly easy to automate the parsing, understanding, and creating of Markdown.